In poker you never stop learning and no one can boast that they know everything, but champions often win it means that luck is of little importance.
So it’s up to you to fine-tune your strategy, here we will focus on the main mistakes that beginners make so that you avoid them as much as possible.
- As in other sports or hobbies, quitting is often seen as a loss and something negative. So for a lot of newbies to give up = losing face, in poker it’s quite the opposite, folding is quite normal. If your hand is weak, well it is weak, and bluffing often doesn’t work against good players. To be persistent in wanting to play all hands, yes that’s negative.
- Lack of experience leaves many players in constant fear. Afraid of losing money, afraid of doing badly, afraid of making an error that everyone will laugh at etc etc … This has the effect of pushing the players to withdraw into themselves, to play only if they have a hand unbeatable, they will experience the bets of their opponents as an aggression and with a certain paranoia. Only intensive practice and habit will eradicate this state of mind. We can’t repeat it enough play, play as much as possible at free or low stakes tables to gain confidence in yourself and your game.
- One of the quite frequent mistakes among beginners is to overstate the value of certain hands, for example a face and a small card a king + 4 or queen + 5, the beginner because he has a king for example will give a value has his hand that it does not have, do not hesitate to learn the real values of the hands and re-read our pages on the 10 hands not to play here.
- Do not play above your bankroll. The bankroll is in a way the sum, the cassette that you have planned for your poker. All great players have a bankroll, you can think of that as the cash flow needed to play poker. You must therefore set a limit for yourself and not exceed it. You can be the best player in the world, there is what we call playoffs and you can have a bad streak and have no play for several rounds, even days.
- Too much bluffing. Some beginner players think that poker is all about bluffing, and they will bluff their heads. Result, the opposite effect obtained, the bluff is no longer credible and the jacket is guaranteed. You have to set a maximum bluff percentage and not exceed it to remain credible.
- Let your emotions or your physical state affect your game. Physical, do not hesitate to take breaks, eat, drink, get some fresh air, don’t we say a healthy mind in a healthy body? Emotions have no place in poker; you play with your head calmly, calmly, calculating and applying your strategy. If at any time you feel that it’s your emotions that are making you make your gambling decisions, then take a break.